Wednesday, June 6, 2018

6/5/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — 20 hours ago
    Stopped in the post office in Sinai to see if I had any mail.  The post master asked me how I am doing.  After giving my standard response she said "I think about you every day." I said "Now that gives me hope!"
    Joanne's brother, Mark, sent me this quote "Reading an interim pastor’s letter to a congregation who received word that their beloved pastor has resigned made me think about what you have been sharing as you mourn Joanne’s death, experience the profound presence of her absence and express your abiding gratitude and love. He wrote, “grief is the price we pay for love..the sadness we are feeling right now comes from having loved and been loved so deeply...such sadness also makes room for gratitude.” "  Wow, does that hit the nail on the head!  "the sadness we are feeling comes from having loved and being loved so deeply..."  Reminds me of the Simon and Garfunkle song "If I never would have loved, I never would have cried."
     Driving back from South Dakota today, I had to tell myself the little messages she'd repeat, e.g., that's where Nancy J-L's son lives, etc.  The messages were often repeated so now I just say them to myself.  When I stray unto the rumble strip I say out loud "sorry Joanne" because that was one of her pet peeves.
     Tomorrow is our 54th anniversary.  Glad I get to spend it with a friend but sorry it is attending the funeral of our mutual friend, Ed's brother.

Blessings,

Al

No comments: