Monday, May 29, 2023

Slow learner!

       265 of 713 and "I quit." Joanne was very decisive and that served her well in work and life. Applied to reading she'd give a book a chapter and if she wasn't engaged she would set it aside and go on to another. The trick for me is that on occasion a book will half way engage and if it's well written it's tempting to persist.

    That was the case with Annie Proulx' Barkskins. After reading 265 pages I decided to quit. A conversation with a friend about the book pushed me over the ledge I was contemplating. Her assertion the Proulx didn't know how to end the book did it. Perhaps that's why it is 712 pages long. I also found it depressing, recounting vividly the trauma of Native Americans with the onslaught of European invasion. In addition there was not a central character with whom to identify.  

    So, on to the next!

Takk for alt,

Al


                            These two corporals returned safely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agree with reading comments. Too many good books waiting; don’t torture yourself if book doesn’t grab you by 100 pages!