Monday, May 22, 2023

Birds

 Source: King’s College London

New research from King’s College London has found that seeing or hearing birds is associated with an improvement in mental well-being that can last up to eight hours.

  My anecdotal experience certainly affirms this research. The field road to the corn planter, on which I was working today, is lined with nesting boxes. Spaced so that the nesting birds are not likely to fight territory battles they are accross the road from a multi-row tree belt. It appears that all the boxes are occupied with nesters. Even the one I closed two days ago is in use. Seeing these tree swallows in and around their boxes makes me glad.

  There are brown thrashers living in those tree rows. They are super singers with 1100 songs in their repertoire. Quite shy, they avoid human contact. They also are a pretty bird.

   When I was a boy the woods around our farmhouse harbored many redheaded woodpeckers. Their numbers have been declining for some time. I was gladdened to see one today.

   Birds do make me glad. Sitting in my brother's dining room lately I saw Baltimore orioles actively feeding on the grape jelly on his bird feeder. They are another very pretty bird.

Takk for alt,

Al





No comments: