Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Offer accepted!

    Every year on the second Saturday of August the local Volunteer Fire Department conducts a consignment auction as a fundraiser. Professional auctioneers conduct the sale volunteering their time. Their usual 10% commission is retained by the firemen. The consignors receive 90% of the sale price.

   A few years ago I was visiting with the local banker as we waited for the sale to begin. Seeing a small motorcycle on the sale I remarked "I should buy that motorcycle and hang it on my tractor. Then I'd have a way back to town if I had tractor trouble in the field." All my land is miles from town. He replied "If you have trouble call the bank and we'll send someone to get you." Today I called the bank.

   Having finished plowing the corn fields I began plowing a strip of grassland that was extremely rough. The intention is to work it down so it will be smooth. Onc of the large tires on the tractor went flat. The small front ones I could change but not a big one. It happened several miles from town and my usual rescuer, my brother, was unavailable. So I called the bank and, true to his word, he came for me. Just a few hours earlier I'd dinner (noon) with him at the bank. There are advantages to life on the prairie.😀

   A call to the repair shop that will fix it in the field elicited several questions. Size? 16.9" by 34". Kind of tractor? 706 International. Is there fluid in the tire? No. (Many tractor tires are filled with fluid for added traction.) Where is the tractor? East of Sinai. My question: When can I expect service? Answer: Monday or Tuesday. 

   So that's my little adventure for the day.

Takk for alt,

Al



                     The tractor and the tire.

No comments: