Thursday, October 27, 2022

Well timed!

    Next to The Little House lives Josh, a 40 something single man. He has two ‘65 Mustang cars which live in my garage. In exchange for their residence there he mows The Little House lawn. Because it’s been so dry he’s only mowed once since the 4th of July. The Little House has no deciduous trees but the neighbor's leaves blow unto the yard. Yesterday Josh ran the mower over the lawn to mutilate the leaves, which worked very well because they were dry and brittle. That was well timed because today we got a slow rain, maybe .3”? The leaves would not have ground up as well now.

     Josh is on the faculty of South Dakota State University in Brookings. His salary is paid by the U.S. Geological Survey to study wildlife, primarily waterfowl, and most of his work is supervising graduate students. He’s a good cook, which he enjoys, and he shares much of his cooking with me, which I enjoy. If I happen to get a pheasant I give it to him and it comes back to me cooked after he’s taken his share. While “good fences make good neighbors” there is no fence between us and he’s still a very good neighbor. One more of my many blessings!


Takk for alt,


Al

Inca stonework in Cusco, Peru. Note how the stones fit together. The Incas did not have steel implements.


No comments: