Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Books

     In last night’s blog I quoted Norman Rush who said that the aim of life is to so arrange it to have enough time for reading. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong. From where I sit in the recliner I can see fourteen books waiting to be read. Or, perhaps, I’m doing something right to have access to so many good books.

     One of my images from childhood is seeing my parents read. When the cows were milked in the evening and the dinner, which we called supper, dishes were done they would often read. In the dining room were two rocking chairs which served as their reading chairs. Included in their reading would be the daily paper, the Sioux Falls Argus Leader, which came by mail. They would also read magazines and books. Dad began a subscription to The National Geographic in 1908, which he kept until his death in 1969. He did miss one year during the depression when funds were short. Of course they were having babies with four born in the ‘30s.


Takk for alt,


Al

   In a tractor pulling contest, notice the back tires flexing with the strain...I won! The front tires are barely touching.


No comments: