Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Visitor

      One day while I was cutting cedars out of grass two men came to visit. They saw what I was doing and stopped to compliant me on my efforts. Used to toiling alone, and frequently doing contrary to real farmers, it was nice to have my efforts acknowledged. Cody is a Farm bill biologist for Pheasants Forever, a conservation organization. Lucas is a private lands biologist with the South Dakota, Game Fish and Parks.

    Later Lucas called me to arrange a walking tour of some other property. After studying land maps he recognized some land that might be suitable for wetland restoration. This field is currently serving as pasture. 

   Today we walked the area and Lucas described the potential for wetland restoration.  This is where I run counter to my neighbors who tile and drain. On one property I constructed five dams to retain water. An open question is whether the restoration would be compatible with grazing cattle. The farmer who rents it has for many years and it's a vital piece of his cow/calf operation.

    After we completed our walk I introduced him to lunch in Nunda, S.D.  Wikipedia says this about Nunda.   "Nunda is a town in Lake County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 46 at the 2020 census. The first settlement at Nunda was made in 1877 by a colony of Scandinavians."  It's placement in Lake County is significant. Sinai is five miles north and in Brookings County, and for many years the county was "dry." Our lunch in Nunda was at the bar. Oh yes, the lunch special was roast beef, mashed potatoes (real), vegetable  and dessert: $8.00. When the train powered by steam ran between Nunda and Sinai it would take on water in Nunda and coal in Sinai.  That's today's geography lesson. 😁

Takk for alt,

Al





No comments: