Saturday, May 21, 2022

May 25, 1962

     It's difficult to farm in Brookings County, SD, when your National Guard Unit is situated in Colorado. His unit had been activated becasue of the Berlin Crisis. Two weeks of leave is sufficient for corn planting....if, and it's a big if, the weather cooperates. But in May of 1962, when David came home to plant corn, there were days of rain. Somehow he got the planting done and on one of the last days of his leave, he married Jonetta. They started to Colorado after the wedding...that very evening. Today we gathered to celebrate with them, 60 years of marriage!

    Even though David, is my brother I didn't attend the wedding. We were doing tag team farming at a distance. The aircraft carrier, the USS Princeton, was carrying me back from Asia to the U.S. in late may 62. Which day we landed I don't remember but I got my discharge (honorable) from the USMC on June 4, 1962. After a trip to The World's Fair in Seattle, I went home for the summer to farm. When David was discharged in August he took over the farming and I went to Augustana College.

   David and Jonetta are the parents of two daughters and two sons. They have six grandchildren, two great-grandchildren and a third expected in November. they reside in a lovely home, rural Sinai. It was one of those days that feeds the soul.

Takk for alt,

Al

            Granddaughter Alyssa with great-granddaughter Nora.


No comments: