Saturday, May 14, 2022

Mind Tracks!

      Sitting waiting for a haircut I observed the electronic signboard of the church across the street. It reminded me of grocery shopping for Joanne. Joanne did not like grocery shopping and I never minded it. She'd prepare a shopping list and it was best if we reviewed it before I headed out. One day I arrived at the store without prior conversation. On the list was the item "Jello".  How many varieties of Jello live on the shelf of a well stocked grocery store? This was before mobile phones. When I returned home to Joanne I remarked that "the difference between success and failure in any endeavor is the difference between general and specific objectives."  This would be 'Jello' vs 'sugar-free, strawberry Jello.'.

     This exchange came to mind as I watched the church sign flashing messages. It's a very expensive, large sign on a busy street with a 30mph speed limit. This gives motorists 3-5 seconds to read the sign. The sign rotates 12 messages, changing it every 5 seconds. This means a passing motorist will get a shot at one of 12 possible messages. That's very random and the chances of the particular message been appropriate to the driver is quiet remote. The sign programmer would do well to contemplated the need for 'specific' objectives.'

     What else do I have to do as I wait for electricity to return to The Little House? A helpful neighbor is keeping my refrigerator cold with his generator! How sweet is that?

Takk for alt,

Al


                   Storm clouds over South Dakota.

No comments: