Thursday, March 31, 2022

Why calculus?

     How/why has calculus, taught has an Advance Placement Course in high school, become the touchstone for admission to top tier universities?  Admittedly I'd never asked that question but it was the focus of today's presentation at the OFH. Why not statistics. or data science, or financial mathematics, or??? The pattern is algebra, geometry, algebra II, pre-calculus, calculus. A student wanting admission to an Ivy League school, or any other selective university, needs to have taken AP calculus in high school even if she wants to study French literature.  A move in Virginia to a more comprehensive math education shifted many voters from support of Biden to the current Republican governor. 

    This fascinating presentation by David Bressoud, retired Macalester College professor, reminded me again of how little I know. It's the same feeling I have when I read a history book. I really don't know very much.

"Cogito ergo sum" 

Takk for alt,

Al


                           Today's random: the power of wind!

No comments: