Friday, April 1, 2022

Joanne Elizabeth (Hanson) Negstad, April 1, 1926-April 12, 2018

       Four years ago to today Joanne celebrated her birthday on Easter Sunday. It was her last meal, at which she sat at the dinner table, and she did for two hours. Twelve days later she died. It bears repeating again, that after watching a recording of Grace University Lutheran Church sing happy birthday to her during Easter Service she said "I never knew dying could be so glorious." That was our Joanne.

    Now with four years in the land of grief, living with the presence of absence, grief moves from a knife in the ribs to an ever present dull ache. Leaving the condo and moving to the OFC awakened grief. It meant leaving the place where she died and we'd lived. It was the first move, since 1963, that I had made without her. Often I've remarked that "she'd love the OFH." Had she moved here on January 7, as I did, she'd now have 200 new friends, unlike my dozen. She'd be pleased that I'm not a recluse, which was her fear for me without her. 

    This important day is an opportunity for gratitude. Joanne was gift to me and so many others in so many ways. Having 50+ years together was pure blessing. Together we raised two children and fostered several others. Now, added to them is a beloved daughter-in-law and two granddaughters who, together, with my children are the light of my life. During the darkest days of grief, and continuing, myriad relationships of family and friends saw me through and for that I'm profoundly grateful. So, in the midst of grief, gratitude abounds.

Takk for alt,

Al

                  Grief hits the hardest when thinking of what she's missing with her granddaughters. 
                                            Joanne's Easter/birthday dinner April 1, 2018.

No comments: