Tuesday, February 9, 2021

What, me worry?

      With COVID emerging last February I left Thailand two weeks earlier than I had planned. Early in March I began carefully isolating to avoid the virus. For six weeks I stayed with L, and then relocated to The Little House on the Prairie, May 1. Since May 1, I have spent almost all my time in S.D.  Isolation has not been terribly difficult. The worst part has been separation from the family. Telephone and internet have kept me connected with family and friends. Stress has not seemed to be part of the equation. Or, was I in denial?

      Today I received my first COVID inoculation (Moderna). As I was driving back from Brookings, where I received my shot, I was aware of a deep sense of relief. Reflecting on that feeling it became clear that it was related to the vaccine. Perhaps there was more anxiety underlying my psyche than I realized.

     This whole experience comes with a mixture of feelings. Most prominently is gratitude! There's gratitude for the comfort with which I was able to isolate. Much gratitude is due those who rushed and worked to make vaccines available. I am grateful that I received the vaccine and for the insurance which paid for my inoculation.  

     Humility is also appropriate. Why me? Why am I so blessed? So many have died or suffered terrible illness. How did I escape. Millions still wait for the vaccine but I'm already inoculated. It is a gift given to me and all I can do is say "THANK YOU!"

   One of the gifts of isolation has been the opportunity to read. One of the best books I've during this time is the biography of Fredrick Douglass: Prophet of Freedom, by David Blight. This (below) was posted in the Minneapolis StarTribune, yesterday.

Takk for alt,

Al

1 comment:

Michelene said...

I know the gratitude that you speak of. I felt ta huge weight come off me when I got vaccinated a few weeks ago. This Thursday, I get my second dose.