Thursday, February 4, 2021

Trygve, September 29, 2009-February 4, 2021, Rest in peace, good and faithful dog."

       When Lisa moved to Minneapolis it became clear that my fifth springer, Kjell, preferred her to me. So Lisa adopted Kjell. While I was teaching in Thailand early in 2010, Lisa found Trygve in an ad from a breeder near Lake Benton, MN. Though I was in Asia I was able to strike a deal with the breeder for Trygve. When I returned from Asia, Lisa and I drove to Lake Benton, likely late Feb. 2010, to get him. Since that time he's been an important part of the family. Joanne, not raised with dogs, said that of the six we'd had Trygve was her favorite.   

      A week ago yesterday Trygve quit eating which was totally out of the ordinary. Last Thursday we made the first visit to the vet. Friday he was totally lethargic but Saturday he seemed to return to normal. It was the last day he ate and everything he ate he threw up overnight. Monday we were back at the vet and he was given different antibiotics. By last evening it was clear that we was weaker and had not eaten since Saturday. This morning I took him to the emergency vet hospital in Sioux Falls. His abdomen was full of blood and he was diagnosed with cancer of the spleen. Trygve and I drove back his primary care vet in Brookings and he died at noon. Yes. of course I'm devastated.  

    COVID was a gift to us. Since the first of March he had been with either Lisa or me 24/7. Since the 1st of June he was here with me in The Little House. Pheasant hunting season opened October 17, and we hunted almost every day until he got sick on January 27. He was living the dog's dream life; with his owner 24/7 and hunting everyday.  I am so grateful that he, and I, had that opportunity.

   He was so well behaved that on the rare occasions I'd need to raise my voice he looked startled as if to say "you yelled at me."  About 5 or 6 times in eleven years he barked, with the exception of when he was dreaming, then he'd frequently bark. 

    The Little House is suddenly very empty! 😢

Takk for alt,

Al


                                Trygve in the car this morning.


1 comment:

Judie Mattison said...

I'm so sad for you and Trygve. What wonderful companions you have been! Bless you both and thanks to God for such a gift to your life.
Judie