Monday, February 15, 2021

Testing a maxim.

       Weather was an important topic of conversation in my childhood.  Raised among those who have a tendency toward taciturnity weather was a safe topic of conversation. Then, too, conditions can vary quickly here on the prairie raising that as a topic. Perhaps the most important reason for weather in conversation was that we were farmers in a farming community. Weather could make, or quickly break, a farmers financial profit.

     Norway, the land of my ancestors, lies far north geographically. Modern Norwegians are avid outdoors loving people. They have a maxim that "there is no bad weather, only bad clothing." Being a person of habit I prefer to do my walk at the same time everyday, mid-morning. The habit got established when Trygve and I were hunting every day. During the pheasant hunting season in South Dakota the daily hunt opens at 10:00 a.m.so that's when Trygve and I would start. This morning, at 10:00 a.m., the temperature was minus 16, with the wind chill something more than that. "Time to test the Norwegian maxim about weather and clothing" I thought. So, I bundled up and my little experiment bore out the maxim. My Marine shooters mittens kept my hands toasty warm, as did a down vest and Carhart bomber jacket for my torso. Leaving my beard untrimmed for a long time gave me face protection. It was a nice walk. I always start into the wind so if I get too cold I can walk with it on the way home. Yes, I missed Trygve. 😞

    Pickles is one of my favorite comic strips. This appeared in the Minneapolis StarTribune, today. I'm with Earl, I don't whine but I may snivel.



Takk for alt,

Al

2 comments:

P M F said...

Sandy says "stay home!" ;->

Unknown said...

I whine! Sharon