Tuesday, February 2, 2021

"See you in the funnies!"

 A Dictionary of Catch Phrases (1986) by Eric Partridge and Paul Beale says:

see you in the funny papers (—often and orig. I'll). 'This jocular farewell suggests that the person addressed is rather laughable: US: 1920s; extinct by the 1950s' (R.C., 1978). Perhaps adopted in the UK from American servicemen c. 1943. By c. 1955, (I'll) see you in the funnies.

Copied from today's Minneapolis StarTribune.

     Joanne and I would often point out particular items in Pickles, the comic strip printed above. Notice the dog's expression. This panel jumped out at me because of my experience with plumbing. Taking plumbing apart and putting it back together is not the issue. Leaking? Now that's the issue! Getting things together again so that there's not a leak is the challenge. A pipefitter I am not. "See you in the funny papers" extinct since the 1950's...when did you last hear that phrase?
      
      Trygve's showing some improvement today, but still no appetite.

Takk for alt,

Al
                                It was a cold day, perhaps 75 Fahrenheit, notice the coats. 

No comments: