Friday, December 11, 2020

Ya, then

      Having finished The Twilight of The Gods: War in The Western Pacific, 1944-1945, I have now read all of Ian W. Toll's, Pacific Trilogy. That's a cumulative 2240 pages, but who is counting?  Someone asked "How do you remember all you read?"  I said "I'm not taking a test!" 😉 What I remember, I remember and the rest I appreciated as I read.

    Toll does more than recite the story of the battles. His books set the context of the times in both America and Japan. He includes copious quotations from both American and Japanese participants in the events being described.  The prose and construction of the narrative makes for interest and compelling reading. While I knew the broad outlines of the events of the war and contemporary conditions these pages filled in the details. To hear war experiences described by participants from both sides of the conflict makes the situations come alive. With those reports in the words of those who were there it becomes much more than a dry report of events.

     This is certainly recommended reading, especially for those interested in history. The context that Toll adds to the situations described provide a valuable history lesson in themselves. The final volume was just published this year.

Takk for alt,

Al

                                                        Yes, I'm social distanced.



No comments: