Friday, December 4, 2020

What is strength?

Hollow again

(Quercus agrifolia)

Look at this trunk, burnt hollow,

keyholed from side to side.

Yet, in spite of a few dead limbs,

a crown of leaves pushes against

the patient sky. So we might 

flourish, in spite of ourselves,

evacuated of fortitude. Paul

said it: in weakness, strength;

in death life. I don't know how.

But most days, a long resilience

of xylem and phloem.

Of chlorophyll. Ex nihilo.    Paul Willis, in 12/2/2020 Christian Century p. 27.

    "Evacuated of fortitude"  reminds me of the old saying "much of life is just showing up." Perhaps that the word for this time in the pandemic. "evacuated of fortitude" we persevere by showing up..."don't just do something, wait there."

     Perhaps of all people in this weird time I am most blessed; safe, comfortable, eyes for sustained reading, adequate financial resources, good health, family, friends, a faithful companion dog.... Yes, I'm grateful!

Takk for alt,

Al

PS Noticing the comment on yesterday's blog post I see I'm not the only one that notices the use of "lay" and "lie". 😁

No comments: