Thursday, December 3, 2020

Mistakes are made!

      Perhaps arising out of my deep personal insecurities I find delight in discovering small errors in the books I'm reading  An example in the book about the murders as Gitchie Manitou a murder weapon, a shotgun, was described as a "Wesson Field." There is no such shotgun. There are Smith & Wessons, but I don't know if they make shotguns. The murder weapon was almost certainly a "Western Field." Apparently neither the authors nor the editor were hunters. 

    This all came to mind last night as I was reading the third of Ian Toll's Pacific War Trilogy.  Toll was giving background information on a navy commander. Toll wrote that this man grew up in Minot, South Dakota!  Now, everyone knows that Minot, the Magic City, is, and always has been, in North Dakota. 😛Though, I am often asked by acquaintances in Minnesota if I go to South or North Dakota. Then they'll say "I was in South Dakota once, Fargo." Which everyone also knows is in North Dakota.

    But, this didn't start out about geography but about me. Yes, it's all about me and why finding textual errors gives me such delight.  Likely it's just a pathetic attempt to feel superior due to a weak ego. But, that Pacific War Trilogy is such an important book someone should have caught the error.........

    That's my story and I'm sticking with it and don't even get me started on the common misuse of the words 'lay' and 'lie'. If you need any help on this matter just ask!

Takk for alt,

Al


1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I really resonate with lay and lie!!! No gets it right anymore - even on the radio. In my mind I always say "and what were you laying" as it is almost always something like "I was laying down.'