Monday, December 14, 2020

In the words of others....

     J.M., sent me this quote from Martin Luther which seems to speak to our situation today. People claim "personal freedom" when asked to wear masks. Would those persons claim "personal freedom" to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater when there is none?  As Luther's quote implies, masks are what we wear for the sake of the other. The fact that it also helps us when we wear it is just a bonus.

In 1527, as the Bubonic Plague entered Wittenberg, the German Reformer Martin Luther not only urged his congregation to care for the sick, but also criticized those who disdained precautions in order “to prove how independent they are.” In contrast to behavior he described as “tempting God,” Luther vowed, “I shall ask God mercifully to protect us. Then I shall fumigate, help purify the air, administer medicine, and take it. I shall avoid places and persons where my presence is not needed in order not to become contaminated and thus perchance infect and pollute others, and so cause their death as a result of my negligence"

    Yesterday I wrote in my blog about honesty. Then this quote from Berdyaev appeared in today's Minneapolis StarTribune... note he died in 1948.

 

Takk for alt,

Al



Fashion attire without adult supervision.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At least you got the sweater right!

Unknown said...

If you could have spilled something yellow on your sweater, there would have been a match!--PL