Sunday, December 20, 2020

"It's beginning to look a lot like...October?"

     Sitting at my table looking out the window, what do I see?  Brown grass, fallen leaves and bare trees. Both the hackberry and the catalpa trees have long ago given up their foliage and the big catalpa leaves are blown against the chain link fence. My pond across the street is a sheet of ice ideal for skating, which I don't do. The egret fled long ago. 100 acres of snow geese were feeding in a harvested corn filed near town. Lake Sinai looks frozen over, but snow? Only a stray drift in a fence row from the October snows. Mourning doves and blue jays, that have refused to migrate, easily find food. Fox squirrels tantalize Trygve by frolicking outside his window. Run as he did, Trygve couldn't scare up even a hen pheasant today. No deer bounded away either. Snowmobilers may grouse about the lack of snow but not me. Certainly not the conditions I remember as Advent is about to give way to Christmas. 

    It's interesting and a bit surprising how cocooning suits me. The internet connects me to the wider world. A telephone brings people into my cocoon.  An endless supply of good books to read. COVID 19, has brought untold grief and suffering to so many, while, I am about the most fortunate person. What can I be but grateful? and I am!

Takk for alt

Al


An inside view of The Little House with unidentified feet.

No comments: