Sunday, December 13, 2020

To tell the truth........

      There were things they didn't talk about. Could that be lying through omission? It doesn't seem like that to me. On some occasions they were mistaken. No one can be correct 100% of the time. No where in my recollection of my parents can I think of an instance in which they lied. Truth, integrity, veracity was the core of their way of life. What a gift such being was to me and my siblings as we grew to adulthood. I remember my Dad saying "Be sure your sins will find you out."

     Lies are a form of evil that take on a life of their own.  Like the old saw "Have you stopped beating your wife?"  Either a "no" or a "yes" convicts. Lies can not easily be refuted. It often falls to the falsely accused to prove or disprove that which can not easily be shown. Many years ago in an exercise with a group we were asked to write our mission statement. I wrote "Better living through honesty."  Of course, I wish I could say that I've always been faithful to that sentiment. Yet, I think it has been a worthy goal, no matter how I may have failed.

     May we let our "yes" be yes and our "no" be no. Let us trust those who at least strive for honesty.

Takk for alt,

Al

          Think about my childhood brought to mind the building in which I was schooled for 8 years,

No comments: