Monday, December 7, 2020

Small Delights!

        Trygve and I continue our practice of  pheasant hunting one field a day. Without Joanne to cook the occasional bird we bring home I've been giving them to neighbors, who are happy to receive them. Josh, who lives next door, is no pleased to get some that last evening he brought me a complete meal; pheasant, scalped potatoes and green beans...enough for two meals!  It is a reciprocal delight.

     It's been weeks since I drove my car. It reclines peacefully in the shop while I use the truck. Today as we returned from our daily walk in the field  I started it to keep the battery charged. A semi-truck stopped  as I was getting back into my truck. Fuzzy Torgrude, who lives a few blocks away, got out and walked over to me. "My pick-up is parked over by the elevator and on the dash is an old picture of your garage. Help yourself to it" he said.  So I did...see below. The garage was built by Fred Felberg in 1907, as Sinai was being developed. My uncle, Henry Negstad, Fred's brother-in-law, wired the garage for electricity. None of the men pictured are recognizable to me. I will post it on the Facebook site 'You know you're from Sinai if...' and see if someone else may be able to provide identification.

   The garage was used as a automotive repair shop until the cost to heat it drove it out of business. That's when I bought it.  At one time there were two Caterpillar diesel engines in the back room that drove an electric generator to provide electricity to the town. I think it was a 32 volt system and it operated from 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. The concrete pads on which the engines were mounted are still in place.

Takk for alt,

Al

                       My garage is in the background. I think the roadster belongs to Fred Felberg.


No comments: