Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Time flies.

     That caption reminds me of the old pun "'My how fun the time is when having flies', said the frog." While my days don't vary very much, what I do today is very much what I will do tomorrow, the days do not drag. Boredom is not a problem...'so many good books' and now time to read many of them.

    In the third, and final, volume of Ian Toll's Pacific War Trilogy, I've just read the story of the Battle of Okinawa. When our Marine unit first arrived on Okinawa in 1961 our first base, Camp Sukiran, an Army facility, was where the American invasion force landed. Many of the geographical features mentioned in the story of the battle are places I visited. Buckner Bay, I learned, received it's name from the American general who died in the fight, the highest ranking American Officer killed in the Pacific. 

    From this perspective I have regrets that I didn't do more study and exploring while I was there. One of the sergeants in our company said that he fought there. Why didn't I pursue the conversation with him to learn all I could.  Probably truth in the old saying "youth is wasted on the young."

Takk for alt,

Al



                                                                   Camp Sukiran barracks.

No comments: