Wednesday, August 29, 2018

9/25/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Aug 25, 2018
    Tonight I watched the Minnesota Volleyball team. rated number 4 in the nation, beat North Carolina in 4 sets.  Just as Joanne entered hospice in late March we had the privilege of watching them with A.G., with us.  Much fun, because A.G., a volleyball player herself, could tutor us on the finer points of the game.  It was probably the last time Joanne and I watched a game together. She enjoyed volleyball almost as much as women's basketball.  It's not as much fun to watch alone.
     With the passage of time there are longer spells when the presence of absence is less acute.  By this I mean, life alone begins to seem normal...just the way it is.  Then, suddenly the reality of Joanne's death breaks in and I seem to be back where I started, with the profound grief of her permanent absence.  "She's really gone and she isn't coming back!"  It's almost as if I learn it for the first time.

Blessings,

Al

No comments: