Wednesday, August 29, 2018

8/17/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Aug 17, 2018
Since Joanne's death I've often joked about living with out adult supervision.  There is a reality that lies within that bit of humor.  Healthy, mentally healthy that is, adults experience life as lonely.  To be a well functioning, self-differentiated adult, means that one must take responsibility for one's self.  This means; no fusion with others, no passing off responsibility or shirking the reality of making decisions and living with the consequences.  Often this sense of loneliness is exacerbated by responsibilities one assumes with employment.
    Recently I've been aware that I'm tired of being an adult.  Upon reflection on this tiredness it has occurred to me what causes that fatigue.  With Joanne's death I've lost my built in, ready, wise consultant.  Functioning as an adult it has always been my duty to own my decisions.  That has not changed.  What has changed is, that now, many of those decisions are made in isolation.  Missing is the valuable consultation that Joanne offered.  Being an adult is hard work and being one alone makes it even harder.
    This may explain why relationships, and I'm blessed with so many, are so important to me on this journey. 


Blessings,

Al

No comments: