Wednesday, August 29, 2018

8/23/2108 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Aug 23, 2018
During the early years of MN Vikings Football I was a rabid fan.  Those were the days of Fran Tarkenton and the Vikings losing at the Super Bowl.  When we were living in Mohall our TV died early in a Saturday game.  By the start of the 2nd half I'd had been downtown and purchased a new TV from Russ Stene, so I got to see the remainder of the game.  Whenever the Vikings lost I went into a funk.
    It took awhile but eventually it dawned on me that that kind of an emotional investment in a game with professional athletes made no sense.  Joanne always enjoyed watching, her dad was a fan of sports, but didn't emotionally invest in the winning or losing.  Gradually I quit watching.
    With the revelation of the physical and mental toll of the game on the players, not to mention all the other issues with it, I concluded that it is an immoral enterprise.  To seduce athletes to sacrifice their health for outrageous salaries seems morally bankrupt to me; a modern form of gladiators.
    What about Joanne?  With her usual steadiness she saw the logic in my argument, while concluding that it wouldn't matter if she enjoyed a game when it was convenient.  Ah yes, the adult presence which I now miss. 

Blessings,

Al

No comments: