Wednesday, August 29, 2018

8/26/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Aug 26, 2018
     South Zumbro Lutheran Church, between Kasson and Rochester, MN, is alive and well after 150 years.  Situated on a hill, this rural church has 100 children in Sunday School.  Between 2003-2009, the building was enhanced in three phases.  These phases were; remodeling the narthex and adding an elevator, enlarging the narthex and adding a new social hall, kitchen and offices.  The total cost of these projects was $1 million, and in 2014, the debt was retired leaving no building debt.
    The first pastor was a Norwegian immigrant, Rev. Ole Anderson Bergh, who served the congregation from 1868-1886.  He, and his wife, are buried in the cemetery next to the church.  At the anniversary celebration 26, of Pastor Bergh's descendants (or spouse thereof) were present. These are great and great great grandchildren of Pastor Bergh.  I am one of the great grandchildren who was there.
     This was my first visit to the church, though it's only 90 miles from my home in Minneapolis.  Wondering what I'd find, I was pleasantly surprised to find a thriving rural church.  It's pietistic roots in the Hauge Synod...the synod founded by followers of the Norwegian lay evangelist Hans Nielsen Hauge...is still very much in evidence in the its present piety.
      Being there made me think more about Joanne's father, Rev. Oscar C. Hanson, than Joanne.  The warm, evangelical atmosphere, coupled with mission and service, are a perfect fit with the values Oscar lived.  Many years Oscar served as President, Lutheran Bible Institute (LBI), and later as an Evangelist for the Lutheran Church.  As I sat through the service and anniversary program I wondered how many from that congregation had attended LBI and perhaps had known him.  Were Oscar alive and active today, I think I'd take him there for a visit.
       Yes, it's a small world.  One of the former pastor's (Rev. Herbert Peterson 1936-1942) daugher shared remembrances from being a small girl while her father served there.  In conversation with her,  I learned that she was a  high school student with Joanne at Minnehaha Academy, Minneapolis.  Her husband received the distinguished alumni award from Concordia College the same year Joanne was honored.  So I had met her at that event.
       It was a rich experience and I came away again deeply grateful for my family.  Joanne, too, came to deeply love my family.


Blessings,


Al

No comments: