Wednesday, August 29, 2018

8/22/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Aug 22, 2018
Up early, as usual, I had the laundry washed, dried and folded by 8:00 a.m.  Then it was on to the next task; window washing.  Over 50+ years of marriage Joanne and I had many window washing experiences.  Perhaps we all have our pet areas of perfectionism; windows were in that category for Joanne but not for me?  Can you see where this is going.  
     So, washing windows, she'd position herself on the opposite side of the window that I was washing.  Staring intently at the window she'd point to a spot or a streak that I'd missed.  This exercise would continue until the window, in her opinion, was perfectly clean.  Of course this would try my patience because I tend to be a "good enough" guy.
     My jest with her was always "I need to leave a spot or two so there is a visual 'before and after.'"  Guess her response to that.  When I once mentioned that idea to some female colleagues their reaction was as if I were a wife beater.  Still it doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me. 
      The windows were dirty, especially the glass doors to the balcony and it was time to wash them.  Could I just wash them and move on?  As I applied the elbow grease with a liberal application of Windex the memories of all those window washings flooded over me.  Are the windows clean enough?  it was hard to see through the tears but spots or streaks can just wait until next time.


Blessings,

Al

No comments: