Wednesday, August 29, 2018

8/27/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Aug 27, 2018
      Stopping to look at pictures slows the process of cleaning closets. Now, isn't that profound?  😀   Perhaps some readers imagine my condo as a tiny box high in the sky.  Actually. it's quite spacious, especially for one person, as it having three bedrooms and many closets.  There is an immutable law of physics that posits 'the larger the closet the more that stuff will find its way there.'  
      Joanne was a very neat person.  However, she did have a tendency to store things in closets and then succumb to another rule of physics 'out of sight out of mind.'  L spent the day with me addressing untended closets.  One of those closets has many of our pictures and....
      We did go through a box Joanne labeled 'Al, pre-1964, i.e., the year we married.  There were a variety of pictures from my life as a teenager and quite a few when I was a Marine.  As we were concluding our work a phone call invited me to dinner at a relatives house.  It was ironic that I had just seen a picture of that relative, taken in 1961, in Japan.  E.V., and I had traveled to his house to spend the weekend.  B. was then a child and in the picture he is sitting on my lap.  Now in his 60s, he was very interested in the picture.
    Everything we touched was memento of Joanne...the presence of absence.


Blessings,

Al

No comments: