Wednesday, August 15, 2018

8/1/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Aug 1, 2018
     "My grandfather's clock was too large for the shelf,
     So it stood ninety years on the floor;
     It was taller by than the old man himself,
     Though it weighed not a penny weight more.
     It was bought on the morn of the day he was born,
     and was always his treasure and pride;
     but it stopped short never to go again
     when the old man died."  (verse one)
                                       Henry Clay Work
           
      There are two 'wind up' clocks in the condo.  One, a wall clock was given to us by the congregation when we left Zion, in Davenport, IA.  The other is a mantle clock that my parents bought, perhaps in the fifties, which I inherited from my mother. .  The wall clock hangs behind the recliner, the chair occupied by Joanne.  Because I seldom use that corner of the condo since Joanne died, I haven't wound it since her death. 
       The mantle clocks sits atop the china cabinet across from the recliner.   Looking up from my book last night I noticed that,it too, had stopped.  Seeing that it had stopped I engaged in a bit of inner dialogue; "should I wind, but why, why not?"   It still stands stopped becasue two stopped clocks seemed an appropriate metaphor for the division of my life between, 'with Joanne' and 'after Joanne'. 
        Today is one of those days I miss her more.

Blessings,

Al

No comments: