Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Store sign!

    On a recent visit to Birchbark Books, Louise Erdrich's bookstore, I noted a hand lettered sign "IF YOU SEE IT HERE, BUY IT HERE."  That's a great reminder to support a local bookstore rather than going home and ordering it from Amazon. I do everything possible to avoid Amazon. Already leery of Amazon, after reading Nomadland: Surviving America In The Twenty-first Century, by Jessica Bruder I strengthened my resolve to boycott Amazon.

   A good alternative for ordering books is Bookshop.org. For every purchase from Bookshop a portion of the sales price is contributed to independent bookstores. It has raised over $26 million for independent stores. It's a great antidote to Amazon.  Now that I'm book club member of Ann Patchett's Panassusbooks.net I also order from it.

   Any bookies in the Twin Cities should regularly visit Birchbark Books. It's in Kenwood just NW of Lake of the Isles. That location also offers the opportunity for a scenic drive around the lake. And, kick the Amazon habit, you'll be glad you did! 😀

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: