Thursday, June 22, 2023

Imprecision Ag!

       The big thing in agriculture today is precision agriculture. Look at this blurb from South Dakota State University in nearby Brookings.

"Help improve tomorrow's agricultural practices.

The Precision Agriculture major prepares students for careers that bridge the gaps between agronomy, agriculture machinery management, and data sciences caused by the rapid evolution of high-speed sensor technology.  South Dakota State University offers the first-in-the-nation Bachelor of Science degree in Precision Agriculture. SDSU is leading the nation as the first land grant university to offer both a major and minor in precision agriculture. Precision technology and training are key to increasing farm profitability and will play a major role in ecosystem sustainability. Agriculture is experiencing a fast-paced evolution as technology continues to develop. Precision agriculture has emerged with an array of new and exciting – and increasingly high-tech – tools. The integration of computer technology with farm equipment, farm sensors, GPS navigation, satellite imagery and drone imagery are quickly revolutionizing agricultural production."

    Ya, then! I'm at the opposite end of that spectrum with my imprecision efforts!  😀 One of my fields had a significant amount of corn left uneaten by the wildlife. When I planted a new crop those leftover kernels sprouted. Because corn does not do well when crowded I tilled up the field and re-seeded. 

    A friend, who is a real farmer said "You may get more volunteer corn." He was correct, I did get more! Now what? Using my 'new' 1960s cultivator I tried cross cultivating it today. It looks terrible. Did it improve anything? Who knows??? Certainly good that farming isn't my livelihood!"

   At the Banker's/Butcher's meal Wednesday I was asked if I wanted a job as an agriculture loan officer. 😁 There are two issues with that: 1. I have a faulty synapse in my brain relating to numbers. 2. Having a job would mean that I'd be expected to show up.

Takk for alt,

Al

                                 Before

                                  After






No comments: