Saturday, June 3, 2023

Nesting season!

      Hen pheasants and ducks are seldom seen these days.  It is nesting season and both mallards and pheasants nest in the grasslands, though my brother has a mallard hen nesting in the plantings by his house. While nesting is in progress I restrict Kaia's running in the fields so as not to disturb the hens. It would be possible to leave Kaia behind and return to the fields but I don't. Pheasant chicks and ducklings should hatch in the next few weeks. I haven't seen any goslings yet. They normally hatch in May. 

    It's been gratifying to see bobolinks in the fields. These little birds winter in Argentina where they are considered a pest. With their black and white markings we, as children, called them 'skunk birds'. 😀 They are native to open grasslands. There are also a variety of field sparrows but I'm not good at identifying the specific varieties. Occasionally I've seen field wrens but not had any wrens nest in the bird house in the big spruce tree. Blackbirds and robins chatter when the tree in which they are nesting is approached by man or dog.

Takk for alt,

Al


                          Good nesting cover.

No comments: