Tuesday, June 6, 2023

June 6, 1964

     Two years and two days after my discharge from the USMC, Joanne and I were married, June 6, 1964. The wedding was at First Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls. Pastor Marcus Gravdal presided and Joanne's father, Dr. Oscar C. Hanson did the homily and the vows. After a reception in the fellowship hall we honeymooned in Sioux City...as did Tom Brokaw and his bride.
     Joanne had a contract to be a counselor at St. Louis Park, MN, High School. She lacked one course for MN certification. That course was to begin at USD, Vermillion two days after the wedding. That is why we had a brief  honeymoon in Sioux City.
     This is the 6th anniversary since Joanne died. It no longer triggers the profound grief it once did. That intensity has been replaced by the comfort of memories of the wedding and the many years of shared life after it. Of course I miss Joanne, I always do but the pain of that absence is less acute.
       So how did I spend my 59th anniversary? Today the tractor tire repair man fixed the tire. It took him 45 minutes to take out the tube, patch it, put a boot in the tire and put it all back together. There was a small rough spot inside the tire which rubbed a tiny hole in the tube. 
     With the tire fixed I sprayed a corn field, which was the task I was headed to do when the tire went flat.When there is a mat of weeds ankle high it is easy to see where to go. 😀

Takk for alt.

Al

              At our 50th anniversary celebration.



                                 Ya, then........



No comments: