Sunday, October 7, 2018

10/4/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Oct 4, 2018
     On a visit back to Mohall some years ago I stopped at the nursing home to visit Erma, age 92.  During our conversation she looked at me and asked "On the inside, how old do you feel?"   Thinking a little I replied "maybe 19."  When I asked her that question she replied "about 21."  It could well be argued that I suffer from arrested development, 😉 but my real age continues to surprise me.  Which is more surprising I don't know; my age or how quickly it arrived.
    Joanne's death at 82, surprised me.  It was also surprising how she could face it with such equanimity.  It wasn't that didn't enjoy life.  Even with all the health issues she dealt with in her last years she took delight in living.  
     She was always smart but she became wise.  Some people have "20, years of experience while others have 1, year of experience 20 times."  Joanne had 82, years of experience, which combined with her intelligence and reflectiveness made her exceedingly wise.  Her body didn't age so well but her spirit certainly did.
     Tonight I'm missing her in the quiet of 'the little house on the prairie.'

Blessings.

Al

No comments: