Saturday, October 27, 2018

10/16/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Oct 16, 2018
         It was a 7, hour trip by train from Brumundal to Arendal, and it was beautiful.  With the trees in full color, the bright yellow birch, oak leaves in red interspersed with the green evergreens, blue sky and water so still it mirrored the shorelines...I would have taken too many pictures had I a camera.  It's imprinted in my memory.
         Yesterday was a memory trip in Oslo.  Else Malme, and her husband were missionaries from Norway to India in the '30s and '40s.  With the German occupation of Norway during WWII, they were not able to take their furlough in Norway during the war, so they went to St. Paul, MN., instead.  There they became friends with Joanne's parents.  When Joanne's dad went to Norway to found the American Lutheran Church, Oslo, the family lived with members of Else's family.
       When Joanne and I began visiting Norway in the early '90s, Else gave us the use of her apartment, and she stayed with her sister.  That apartment, which we drove by yesterday, is only a few blocks from Berger's daughter, Live's condo.  Berger and I met Live's children at their school and walked them home crossing the same sidewalk I used when I was staying at Else's place.
      Berger,  Ellen and I, ended our Oslo visit at Berger's sister's and husband's place.  They, Britt & Torleiv, have been guests in our home in MN and we've been in their home several times.  It was over coffee at their house, that I became acutely conscious of how blessed I am to have been, "brought to Norway" by L, studying here, and all of Joanne's connections. 
     This brings me to why I am in Arendal...but that I will save for tomorrow.

Blessings,

al

1.Standing with Eva, Berger's granddaughter in front of her 4 story school.
2. With Knut, my host in Arendal, Maren's nephew-in-law.
  •  

No comments: