Saturday, October 27, 2018

10/21/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Oct 21, 2018
    It's a little unsettling to have breakfast in Norway and lunch in Minneapolis, but that was my day.  Frequent jaunts to Asia make flying to Europe seem brief. 😉  Flying time gave me an opportunity to reflect on the trip and these are some of my thoughts.
    As I wondered why it was such a positive experience several realities came to mind.  First, it was the fulfillment of Joanne's wish...it felt as if I was on her mission and that heartened me.  Second, the friends I visited are persons who have been important to us for many years; since the early '60s. Then there is the fact that they knew and loved Joanne, so now they also inhabit the land of grief.  Very significant is that they all are gracious hosts allowing me the feeling of total comfort in their presence.  They are the 'salt of the earth' and it's a gift to be in their presence.  Norway, the land of all my grandparents, has special meaning to me.  My use of Norwegian is like my use of Thai; I know some vocabulary and stock phrases but will never speak either language.
     There was a bit of trepidation as I approached this trip which I don't fully understand.  It is certainly moot now, as I bask in the glow of ten wonderful days.  It was funny..my trepidation...because I've been travelling Asia solo for years. 
    Travelling with out my phone didn't significantly impact the trip.  The rest of the story about its absence, became clear today when I found it on the floor by my desk.  After reading a text message the day I left I put it in my pocket as I sat at the computer.  Because I was sitting it wasn't in my pocket securely and fell out when I stood up. But my friends came through and took pictures for me.  
    My plane landed  about noon today, L picked me up at the airport and then we went to lunch.  That lunch was an important transition to being home.  Originally I'd planned to take the light rail from the airport. But it was very helpful to share stories and prepare for being alone, a lesson I will try to remember in the future.


Blessings,

Al

1. 900 year old church is used every Sunday.
2. Bronze age stone carvings, some figures wear horned helmets.

No comments: