Saturday, October 27, 2018

10/19/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Oct 19, 2018
         Joanne had three Norwegian "brothers", young men, sons of her parent's friends who came to America to go to college in the early 60s.  Two of them stayed for a year, Berger who attend St. Olaf, and Einer who went to Concordia.  Stein, the third "brother" stayed four years until he graduated from Gustavus Adolphus.  He sang at our wedding and also at our 50th anniversary event, which he attended with his wife, Astri.  Einer and Berger also came for our 50th.  While these men were studying in America, Joanne's parent's home was their 'home away from home.'
       Today I left the marvelous hospitality of Knut and Borghild at Arendal and took the train to Stein's, at Fredrikstad.  Stein, now retired from his position as the President of the Norwegian Bible Society, may be the most traveled person I know.  With typical Norwegian understatement he said, "I've traveled a bit."  Well, not only has he visited 90 countries, he's been in many of them many times.  As an example of his travels, yesterday he returned from his 6th trip to Cuba.
   As Arendal sits on the southwest coast of the Oslo Fjord, Fredrikstad sits on the southeast coast about an half hour from Sweden.  Both cities have been shipping and ship building centers for hundreds of years.  On a short driving excursion tonight we visited a church built 900 years ago, which still holds worship services every Sunday.  Stein preached there one Easter.  At the conclusion of the service the congregation adjourned to the adjoining cemetery to sing Easter hymns.  I was reminded of our congregation singing 'happy birthday' to Joanne this Easter, her birthday, and her remark when we played the recording for her, "I never knew dying could be so glorious."
       It's becoming clear to me that this trip is a testimony, a salute to Joanne.  In conversation with Joanne, when I mentioned the possibility of a trip to Norway, she enthusiastically responded "Oh, I hope you go! I want you to stay in touch with our friends."    Joanne, I took you seriously, and the experience is wonderful.  What a gift for me, to marry into these relationships!   I am truly blessed!

Blessings,

Al

No comments: