Saturday, October 27, 2018

10/24/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Oct 24, 2018
Some years ago when I was doing some work with students at the seminary one of the students, tired of answering my questions about other students, told me to get on Facebook.  That's my excuse for Facebooking.  Today when I opened the Facebook page a reminder picture popped up from 2008.
   The picture shows Joanne and me standing by the Danube River in Budapest.  We had flown to Budapest, spent some days there, took the train to Vienna for some days, and then flew home from Budapest.  In Budapest we stayed in a boutique hotel in the city center and enjoyed exploring the city.  
   In Vienna we found a B & B, very near the Opera House.  I was newly retired so we were in Vienna at Easter.  We first attended and Easter Service in an opulent Catholic Church and then went to a small English Speaking Lutheran Church.  Vienna was easy to explore via public transpiration. 
   We were also planning to visit Bratislava, Slovakia.   However, Joanne needed to respond to some work crisis at home so we didn't make that visit.  Flying home early did create a little adventure for me.  We flew to Amsterdam together on our way home.  From Amsterdam to America she got a seat on a flight that left earlier than mine.  Because I was on stand-by, I took what was available.  Imagine a 747 with 3 seats on each side and 4 in the middle.  I was in the middle section.  Seated on my right was a young mother with 1 year old daughter in her lap.  On my left were young parents with a 30 month old boy on their laps.  "Well, isn't this interesting" I thought.  A concept from one of Parker Palmer's books came to mind.  Palmer said "If you can't get out of it, get into it."  With that in mind I decided the best thing I could do is play surrogate grandpa, which I did, and we all had a good flight.
   Without Joanne here with whom to reminisce about the picture, trip, and flight home I decided to tell you. 

Blessings

Al

1.  The picture that prompted the remembering.
2.  The House of Hapsburg...which I've occasionally posted saying it's The Little House On The Prairie 😉
  •  

No comments: