Saturday, October 27, 2018

10/25/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Oct 25, 2018
   In conversation today with a long time, not old, friend we discussed the significance of relationships at this stage of life.  Relationships are what gave me hope in the deepest pit of despair as I began life in the land of grief.  Connection with people is what was meaningful, and much more significant than words.  Being in touch with far flung friends was what brought me to Norway.  In that conversation today, I repeated a statement I've often made, "the best thing about me is my friends."
     He asked about my volunteer teaching and was fascinated with my connection with elementary students.  My volunteer gig is the best imaginable, hanging out with eager students, in small groups, while reading books.  No preparation is required from me, and if I want to go on a trip, the students remain in their classroom until I return.  Another gift of this volunteering is the structure it provides for my life, as I go to school four mornings a week.  This, too, is about relationships; with students, teachers and other staff...the school is a community for me, an important component of life in the land of grief. 


Blessings,

Al

No comments: