Saturday, October 27, 2018

10/11/2018 Caring Bridge

Journal entry by Joanne Negstad — Oct 11, 2018
Some time ago Verizon gave me a cheap Android Smart phone for being a subscriber.  Never very satisfied with it, I decided to upgrade to an iPhone in preparation for this trip to Norway.  A few weeks ago I bought an iPhone, which I got for half price when I showed my military discharge papers.  With only a few weeks on it, I like it much better than I ever did my 'droid.'  Signed up for Verizon's international service I prepared for using  it in Norway.  The camera on it is very good, so it would be camera of choice for the trip.
      Today as I was going through security at the airport I reached to remove it from my pocket, only to discover an empty pocket.  The iPhone was left on the desk in my condo, my ride had departed and there was no time to return for it.  Where was an adult when I needed one?  At my age, two or three incidents like this, and people start to talk to me about memory care possibilities.  
      When reality struck I made a decision; 'I am not going to let this spoil my trip.'   It does, however, raise a serious philosophical question; will the trip be real, including the people I see and the scenery, if I don't have pictures?  Is the reality dependent upon pictorial record?  More serious than not having the phone is leaving its camera behind.
      After an easy couple of flights, flying to Asia regularly makes travel to Europe seem easy, and an hour train ride, I'm at Berger's and Ellen's home in Brumunddal, (just north of Hamar and not far from Lillehammer).  Joanne's parents and Berger's parents were friends and thus began the relationship that Joanne, and later I continued.  They have a lovely home, from which one can see Lake Mjosa, with a large 'garden', we'd call yard.  A large statue of Berger's grandfather (bestefar) occupies a prominent place in the town square.  He was instrumental in establishing the city.
    The sun came out today and fall colors are at their peak.  The arboreal forest is beautiful with the green in contrast with the yellow birch leaves.  The serious summer drought has been replaced with significant fall rain.  We hiked up the mountain, hiil?, behind Brumunddal, to see the panoramic view over the city.  That was good for me after sitting in planes for 10 hours. 
    So, here I am being treated as royalty while we share stories about Joanne.  For example, Berger remembers borrowing Joanne's Renault while he was a student at St. Olaf.
  I did get 4, hours of fit full sleep on the trans-oceanic flight, partly due to an empty seat next to me but now I must to bed go.😉 

Blessings,

Al

Picture 1, with Ellen by the house.
Picture 2, Berger pointing out the view.
Picture 3, A selfie.
  •  

No comments: