Sunday, August 15, 2021

Recommended Reading!

   "March is the month of the year for which there is least use. The islanders see the sun rise and are deceived by the light, which only makes winter more apparent. And April is equally insidious and even more treacherous."  P. 188, White Shadow

      A few weeks ago Hillary and I were trading book titles. She recommended White Shadow, and I, The Unseen. The irony is that both are by Norwegian, Roy Jacobsen, and Shadow is a sequel to Unseen. 😀 Berger gave me Unseen when I was in Norway a couple of years ago. I've read Unseen twice and imagine rereading Shadow.

    Both books follow the life of, Ingrid, who is a young girl in the first book, set during WW I, and a young woman in the second, during WW II. She is part of a family that occupy a single family island, Baroy, off the coast of Norway near the Artic Circle. The book jacket says "White Shadow retains many of The Unseen's pleasures, not least Jacobson's clean, spare prose...a noble tribute to the human struggle for decency."  Daniel Marc Janes, Times Literary Supplement.

     These books can be read in any sequence but it's logical to read Unseen first. A third volume has been published in Norway and I am keen for its translation.  He has written over fifteen novels.  Yes, I highly recommend it.

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: