Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Not so young, then...

     Parker Palmer in On The Brink, writes: "Most older folks I know fret about unloading material goods they've collected over the years, stuff that was once useful to them but now prevents them from moving freely about their homes....But the junk I really need to jettison in my old age is psychological junk--..."

     Thinking of myself and others I'd postulate that one item of "psychological junk" many of us could helpfully dismiss is fear. There's and old story about worries that is apropos here. An elderly woman was speaking to her pastor. She said "Pastor I've had a lot of troubles in my life and most of them never happened." It seems that politicians lately have turned to fear mongering for political gain. Turing such fear lose in an already anxious population works against rational discourse and healthy debate. Persons on the mental fringe are pushed over the edge to violent and destructive behavior.

     Decisions made out of fear have seldom been good ones in my experience.  There are many things I could leave behind. The best thing I could abandon is fear. Fear is truly a gift that keeps on giving!

Takk for alt,

Al

1 comment:

Peter said...

I'd say fear is the gift that keeps on taking... :-<