Sunday, May 2, 2021

"You picked a fine time to leave me,...."

      My two cornfields are about ten miles apart. Friday the helpful people at the Volga COOP put a new innertube in the flat tire on my planter. Yesterday morning with the planter and it's newly repaired tire I set out to pull the planter to the west field. About two miles down the road the other planter tire blew out. Being only a mile from town I drug the planter to my shop to do the repairs. Because this was the drive wheel for planter the repair was considerably more complicated. There was a spare tire mounted on a compatible rim in the shop. This tire was questionable becasue it shows some tread separation from the tire cords, but any tire in an emergency. Finishing the repair project about noon I stopped for a quick lunch.

    After lunch I headed for the west field. About 4 miles from town the wheel holding the tire that was repaired Friday came off the planter. That's when I remembered the Balgaard Brothers' "You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel" parody of Kenny Roger's "You picked a fine time to leave me, Lucille." I'd tightened the lug nuts with an impact wrench but must have had the wrench set too low. Leaving the planter in a field I drove back to town for new lug nuts. 

     Even after the delays I finished planting. After the fact it occurred to me I could have borrowed two lug nuts from the other wheel leaving each wheel with two. The planter's not very heavy and two fully tightened nuts on each wheel would have been adequate. 

    Now I'm faced with a huge moral dilemma: what to do about that tire with tread separation mounted on the planter? Should it be replaced now? Should it be replaced next year if it fails?  Decisions never cease!

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: