Sunday, May 30, 2021

May winds down!

 "AND what is so rare as a day in June? Then, if ever, come perfect days; Then Heaven tries earth if it be in tune, And over it softly her warm ear lays; Whether we look, or whether we listen, We hear life murmur, or see it glisten;.

    May has been a cool month and, given the lack of moisture, that has been a gift to the crops and pastures. Personally I hope June will warm up. The Little House's furnace has kicked on several times over the last several days. It's time to turn off the furnace and open the windows. Day time highs are looking up with only two nights predicted in the 40s next week.  It's 72 degrees as I write. I, for one, am ready for some heat.
    Ed, who is a real farmer, advises me to spray my corn soon, herbicide no pesticides for me, so that's this week's project. Both the corn and the weeds are germinating. Thanks to Rollie and David the sprayer that I bought on a farm sale last fall is mounted on my tractor and ready to go. 
    Of particular concern are a couple of patches of sandburs, one in each field. Sandburs are not common in this area but have painful stickers. Hunting in another area some years ago my dog ran into a field filled with sandburs. He froze in his tracks as the burs fastened on his feet. I carried him out and carefully pulled the stickers from his paws.  
Takk for alt,
Al
      

No comments: