Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Telephone

         Adie was talking about her experience as a telephone operator in Hollywood, CA., during the 40s. The operators were warned that movie stars would call but the operators were to be professional and not bother the stars. Addie was at the switchboard and took an incoming call. The caller said "This is Bing Crosby and I'd like to call Palm Springs." Addie responded loudly, "BING CROSBY". Addie's supervisor rushed over and unplugged the connection and asked "What did we just tell you?"  Then she asked a crestfallen Addie, "What are you going to do about it?"  Addie said "I suppose I could apologize." The supervisor said "That would be a start." Addie patched into the line again and apologized. Bing laughed and said "I wondered where you went. Don't think a thing of it, sweetheart."

      This came up in our conversation as we were talking about the changes in telephoning. When I enlisted in the Marines in 1959 we still had a crank phone on the wall of the dining room. Our ring was four shorts. After my discharge in 1962 I returned home to a more modern phone, but still a party line. Sinai had its own telephone company with an office with a switchboard on main street. In my three years in the Marines I think I called home once.

      "General rings" were signals sent for everyone to pick up their phone. The announcement might be that school was cancelled because of snow, all are invited to a bridal shower for (name of bride), there's a barn fire at (name of farmer). Because the phone rang in everyone's home when one was called it was tempting for others to pick up the phone and listen in. One neighbor solved that issue by speaking Danish to his family.

     Now I have a phone that is way smarter than I. But, it's been a significant lifeline for me during this pandemic. Daily calls from and to family and friends have kept me connected and ameliorated the isolation. Now that it has been a week since my second COVID vaccination I'm anticipating being face to face with people again. 

Takk for alt,

Al 

No comments: