Sunday, March 7, 2021

Out of sequence.

      Marilynne Robinson has written four novels in her Gilead series. Now I've read the fourth, Jack, after having read the first two but not the third, Home. Perhaps that was a mistake, though Jack stands quite well on its own. MJV sent me her notes, six pages, of a quality that would qualify for publication in The New Yorker. It's good to see what I missed. Theological themes, Calvinist, abound in Robinson's writings. One possible interpretation of Jack is that it is Robinson's commentary on Black Lives Matter. It's not the easiest read but full of profundities.

      Reading it reminded me of Norwegian author Knut Hamsun, (1859-1952) (Mysteries is an example.) who was one of the first novelists to give voice to protagonists inner voices. Much of Jack is the inner reflections of Jack, the elderly minister's prodigal son. 

With the literary theme of this post here's a literary pun. "I have a pencil that belonged to William Shakespeare but it has been chewed a lot. So, I can't tell if it's 2B or not 2B."

Takk for alt

Al

No comments: