Thursday, March 11, 2021

I'd vote for March!

       T.S. Eliot would have us believe that 'April is the cruelest month.'  March would be my choice for that designation. Strong winds, sleet, snow, hail, tornado warnings yesterday...I rest my case. And, today?  37 degrees, sunny and a 9 mph wind. Is it winter, yesterday?, or spring? today?  

   April is the cruelest month, breeding?

 Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing

Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers.

    –T.S. Eliot, “The Waste Land”

    It's been a year since I left my Minneapolis condo for the hospitality of Lisa's house. Then, the thought was that this isolation would last a few weeks. As it became clear that the pandemic wasn't ending any time soon I moved to The Little House on the Prairie, May 1. Since them I've been here with the exceptions of a few days back in the condo. 

     By Easter my COVID vaccinations will be effective so I will be back in Minneapolis able to be with my family. It will also give me the chance to connect with friends. Yes, I'm keen for this.

     Yet, I'm surprised by how quickly the year has passed. That, of course, is a feature of my age where years get shorter. When I was 5, a year was 20% of my experience and now a year is much smaller percentage of my experience.

     Alive, well and grateful!

Takk for alt

Al




No comments: