Sunday, January 12, 2020

So now?

   When I went to Thailand last year it was about eight months after Joanne's death. Not knowing what to expect, relative to my grieving, I was surprised that my time in Asia was a vacation from grief. Joanne traveled with me only one time to SE Asia and we went to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam. That was in the mid-1990's when we visited Lisa, who was living in Cambodia. After Lisa left Cambodia, Joanne had no interest in going there again. Consequently,SE Asia was "my place" not hers so the presence of absence was not as acute when I was there last year. So, what should I expect this year?
    After first visiting Lisa in Cambodia in the early '90's I was fascinated with SE Asian life. On that trip I also was in Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam. Because of my fascination I returned to that area as I had opportunity. After a few trips Joanne said to me "If you're going to go regularly, do something worthwhile."  So, 12 years ago I began teaching in Thailand. Joanne quickly took interest and ownership of that endeavor.
    This year I will return to what is familiar. The people, places and occurrences are well known. What was once exotic, for example "O look at the water buffalo" or "See the monitor lizard" are commonplace. There are only 3 or 4 teachers who were teaching in the school when I began making me one of the "senior faculty". 😊 Most of the students in 4th, 5th and 6th grades will be known to me.
     As I anticipate the trip I look forward to seeing people whom I know, with whom I've lived and with whom I've taught. I'm grateful for Joanne's challenge

Takk for alt,

Al

No comments: