Sunday, January 19, 2020

Repressive

     The political situation here is tenuous. One bit of evidence is the requirements for purchasing a sim card for a phone. Since the army coup on the government some years ago getting a sim card is more difficult. Previously any 7-11, there's at least one on every block, would sell a sim care, no questions asked. Yesterday to buy a sim card I needed my passport, of which they took pictures including my visa, and they also took my picture. If I do anything seditious via phone they will be able to track me.  Perhaps that is all I should say for now.
   Thailand is suffering a significant drought which is worst in the north. Farmers will be fortunate to get one rice crop rather than two. Reservoirs in the north are significantly low for this early in the dry season. Water conservation is being encouraged by the government.  It seldom rains in January but there was a light one this morning here in Bangkok. It doesn't make much difference but does freshen things up a bit.
   Hunger is marker of jet lag. When I feel hungry a check of the time reveals that it is my usual mealtime in MN. Last night I spent a bit of time awake in the middle of the night, noon in MN. Sitting up a bit and two Advil PM and I slept until 7:00 a.m. 
   This is my story and I'm sticking with it.

Takk for alt,

Al
       

No comments: